Wednesday, February 9, 2011

A Note from Katy...


Oh, plane rides… We were actually quite lucky with boarding and security and our seat locations. But there are always the neighbors who NEVER turn off their light or the once-oh-so-cute baby who is not at all interested in sleeping.

I think there is a telling moment on any plane trip that is over 8 hours, and that is the point exactly in the middle of the flight. Usually I’m asleep but thanks to my neighbor’s decision to “leave a light on” for me, I’m wide awake. And therefore get to be around (and aware) for the Great Middle.

The view out the window is pitch black; no cloud, no sun, no light, no shadow. It seems, but all appearances, to be a great, big, giant void. Maybe the Middle is always a bit of a void. A bit mysterious. As it goes, now we see in a glass darkly…

This trip is my chance of crawling out of The Middle. Out of the self-imposed void where I’ve been spending a lot of time this past year. It’s exciting and empowering and frightening and fantastic.

So for now, from the middle, I say – Shalom. Peace to you all. May you live in expectation and hope; whatever your Middle might be.

No comments:

Post a Comment